A roof garden is a roof that is partially or completely covered with vegetation and soil; lined by a membrane that ensures the living space below remains watertight.
Helping improve the quality of life in our urban environments and reducing the impact on our limited resources; a Viking Roof Garden System is designed to do just that: offer both functional and aesthetically appealing benefits.
Viking's Roof Garden System is New Zealand's only BRANZ Appraised green roof system.
The Viking Roof Garden system offers both functional and aesthetically appealing benefits:
- Reduces storm water runoff
- Air and water purification
- Protects roof membrane from climatic extremes
Sound and temperature control
Insulates and shades building
Provides a pleasant outdoor area
Utilises a buildings ‘5th wall’
Installed only by a Viking Approved Applicator
20-year product warranty
BRANZ appraised (Appraisal No. 903)
As compelling as the idea of a roof garden can be, there are several facets that must be executed correctly to ensure a successful roof garden installation. A dead roof garden, or worse-still, a leaking one is a hugely expensive issue to resolve.
Key factors include:
- An appropriate waterproofing membrane layer
- Only trained applicators installing that membrane system – (to the manufacturer’s specification)
- Proven roof garden drainage components that have been sourced from the same reputable manufacturer
- The soil (a.k.a ‘growth medium’) having been specifically formulated for roof gardens eg: high draining soil full of pumice, compost and perlite
- Plants and grasses that aren’t too thirsty and don’t possess aggressive root structures
- A maintenance programme employed, or better still, proprietary watering system