The St Andrews Church, located at 30 The Terrace in Wellington, is undergoing an extensive upgrade involving three phases.
The first phase (completed in early 2009), involved renovating the external structure and roof. The roof needed to be replaced; structure strengthened for earthquakes; and concrete repair and treatment undertaken. Structural enhancement was also required on the tower to ensure it was securely attached to the remainder of the building.
The St Andrews Church was originally constructed in 1923. As a category one Heritage New Zealand Building, its historic significance commands due respect in architectural conservation. This building is the only New Zealand example of an English Baroque style church; deeming it a significant Wellington landmark.