As higher density living has become more prevalent in New Zealand, we’ve noticed an increasing need for practical, comfortable, and stylish apartments with the specification of innovative products that enhance construction, comfort, and livability. Pairing these needs with the increasing focus on eco-conscious architecture — striving to harmonise structures with nature, a significant movement has been made towards the implementation of roof gardens — vibrant, lush sanctuaries atop buildings.
Roof Gardens have enjoyed a renaissance in architecture, driven by the dual goals of sustainability and aesthetics, providing apartment residents with public spaces to enjoy as a substitute for individual backyards. These spaces create a sanctuary amid an urban landscape, contributing significantly to the quality of life for apartment dwellers, offering an area of relaxation, gardening, or social activities — an ideal setting for escaping the hustle and bustle of city life.
Viking Roofspec specialises in the supply and specification of roof garden systems. A Viking Roof Garden is a complete system of functional layers that include, a root barrier; proprietary drainage components; a moisture retention layer and complementary accessories. It is also the only BRANZ appraised roof garden system using a sheet waterproofing membrane. Additional points of difference that distinguish Viking’s Roof Garden system from others:
- ‘System’ approach: It’s an internationally tested and proven, proprietary system from Carlisle Construction materials (USA) — one of the world’s largest suppliers of membrane systems. This combination of components must not be compromised by substitution for seemingly similar materials. International warranties only apply to the tested, prescribed system installed.
- History-in-use: Viking has supplied roof gardens for many successful projects over the last 20 years without any failures;
- MIRAdrain G4 layer: This critical drainage board component is a multi-purpose 3-in-1 specialty layer that provides: an absorbent moisture retention layer to keep soil damp; a series of cups and holes that both retain and release water in controlled volumes; and a protection layer to ensure the root barrier below isn’t damaged.
- Aluminium drainage boxes and dividers: these components promote the drainage of stormwater while simultaneously protecting the drains from clogging with soil.
- CodeMark membrane system: Viking Enviroclad is not only CodeMark certified (the highest form of product assurance), it is also water potability certified which ensures the cleanest possible water is being fed into the stormwater system.
The need for outdoor space and privacy in apartment living is undeniable. A Viking Roof Garden provides a clever solution by offering a private, outdoor haven that utilises the building's '5th wall'. This alone is going to help shape the future of urban living spaces, ensuring that they are comfortable, practical, and stylish — apartments that Kiwis will truly want to call home.
The Viking Roof Garden system is backed by a 20-year warranty and can only be installed by a Viking Roofspec Approved Applicator.